Sunday 15 September 2013

Book Review : The Teacher's Big Book of Graphic Organizers: 100 Reproducible Organizers that Help Kids with Reading, Writing, and the Content Areas




As inexperienced teacher, I often meet difficulties in teaching English, especially when I must teach my students how to write in English. Most of my students think that writing in English seems so hard to do. But I think it because they still lack of vocabulary and don't know how to start. So as a teacher it's my job to find out new strategies and encourage my students to write in English.

Finally, I found a fascinating book with fancy blue cover
"The Teacher's Big Book of Graphic Organizers The Teacher's Big Book of Graphic Organizers: 100 Reproducible Organizers that Help Kids with Reading, Writing, and the Content Areas" by Katherine S.McKnight. I read every page carefully to see which graphic organizers that may fit with my students' needs.

Frankly speaking, I'm falling in love at first sight with all graphic organizers in this book. There are lots of fabulous things inside. I'll elaborate more here.

1. Graphic organizers as visual aid really help student to organize, to analyze and to see the connection between information.
2. Each graphic organizer provides with classroom implementation and a speedometer that rates the difficulty.
3. The most important thing is how graphic organizers will make our learning activity become more fun and enjoyable.

One of my favorite graphic organizer is on page 183 that talks about "Story Map". "Story Map" help students to visualize their story and help them with plotting too. Students are directed step-by-step through the process of writing a story. Start from describing setting, characters, problems, events and resolution.

There are lots of more fun and useful graphic organizers inside this book that could adaptable to our learning activity in the classroom.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment